Thursday, September 24, 2009

Take me out to the ball game...to eat!

Hello Foodies,

As a recently nationalized American citizen, I felt it was my civic duty to attend a baseball match. Mind you, I’m not big on spectator sports but if Ken Burns can make a PBS doco about it, it must be worth looking into.


So, last Saturday, we joined our dear friends and TDF alum, Jackie and Dan for an afternoon at the new Citi Field Stadium in Queens for a Mets game. Don't ask me anything about the score or who was playing but the food, I can tell you about!


These were the places we snacked at for seven innings:

Catch of the Day
– Dave Pasternack, Executive Chef at Esca, is behind this seafood shack. A lobster roll was our choice and we all agreed it was the best we’d ever tasted-anywhere! Served on a brioche hotdog roll with sweet, tender lobster, at $17–an expensive snack but well worth the price.

El Verano – Floyd Cardoz, executive chef of Indian food at Tabla, champions this taqueria. We tried the soft tacos with chili marinated skirt steak and roasted tomato salsa. I was disappointed by the steamed corn tortillas but the meat was tasty.

Blue Smoke’s pulled pork sandwich was the highlight for me. For $9.00, it was stuffed with suculent, tender pork and crunchy sweet pickles. The slightly sweet brioche bun was a good complement to the pork. Danny Myer not only has a Blue Smoke stand but also a Shake Shack at the stadium.

Box Frites
– Robb Garceau is behind this frites factory. The fries are quite thick and crispy. We tried the chipotle mayo and chili salsa sauces. Delicious!

We made it back to our seats for the 8th inning and then the Mets won. However the beauty of Citi Field is that you can see the game from anywhere in the stadium. So thanks Jackie and Dan for my first eating, hmm, I mean baseball game.

If you're headed to a ball game, go hungry!


Enjoy,


Melissa

No comments: